Pages

Friday, August 2, 2019

Geological Timespiece

 Clock of Eras2
The Clock of Eras is here to help us visualize geologic time. It is almost impossible for the human mind to comprehend the amount of time that it has taken for the Earth to develop to its present state, yet we try to imagine each stage of its unfolding and the time that passed during each phase of development. The Cenozoic is the era we live in, though we could hardly say this is the era of humans. We have been present as a species only about 1.5 million years of the 65 million years of the current era. That represents about 7 seconds (in red) on the clock of eras!
Humans = only seven seconds. And you and me = even less than the blink of an eyelid.
In my own go-round with time I created a Geological Timepiece, the watch I wear when I want to know my place in the great scheme of things. When I want time of my life to be put into proper perspective.
On this bracelet the thin slip of orange, a hair’s breath, represents the amount of time we humans have been on the planet. As this bracelet turns, it passes by each of the eras.
To contemplate the vastness reminds of the importance of finding meaning in our own smallness because being human, human being is a big deal.
7812CF58-7859-484D-A78C-3D24E405E462

No comments: